Auteur: Podiatre Montreal
The best exercises for strengthening an unstable ankle are to balance on one leg. Studies over the past 10 years have shown that these balance exercises are an essential part of rehabilitation after an ankle sprain or following a diagnosis of an unstable ankle. These same exercises are also the most effective in strengthening the arch of the foot.
Here’s how to do the ankle exercises:
- Do these balance exercises for 5 to 10 minutes a day.
- Keep track of how long you can maintain your balance on one leg each day.
- Do not wear an ankle brace when doing these exercises. You can wear shoes or be barefoot, but make sure you remain stable each time you do the exercises.
- With your eyes open, stand on one foot. Hold your position for as long as you can, up to a maximum of 30 seconds.
- When you can stand on one foot for 30 seconds or more, you need to make the exercise more difficult by making the surface you are balancing on less stable. We recommend using a cushion.
- When you can stand on one cushion for 30 seconds, use two cushions.
- Once you can balance on two cushions for 30 seconds, do your balance exercises on a balance board.
- Do the exercise until you can stand on the balance board for about 15 seconds.
We recommend the use of an ankle brace when rehabilitating a sprained or unstable ankle. You must wear the ankle brace at all times while awake until you are able to balance on two cushions for 30 seconds. For most patients, this takes about 30 days, although it may take much longer for some individuals. You should continue to wear the ankle brace for sports activities until you are able to balance on a balance board for 15 seconds.
Back to the clinic
We want our sprained ankle patients to come back and visit us about 30 days after they start balance exercises.
Ankle sprains that are not properly treated can lead to long-term problems. If you have a sprained ankle or are experiencing symptoms, make an appointment at our podiatric clinic in Montreal.2021